Sweet, salty, healthy and perfectly delicious!
roasted sweet potatoes are a single side. Sweet potato cubes are tossed with olive oil and a few simple seasonings before being roasted to perfection.
Tender on the inside with a crisp, caramelized exterior, this side dish is super easy to make. Just peel, dice, season and roast.
Super easy to make, healthy and full of flavor, sweet potatoes are a great choice to serve with your favorite baked chicken breasts or with a turkey dinner!
An easy sweet potato side dish
Just like our regular roast potatoes, there’s no need for fancy ingredients or cooking methods to make them.
- Season them to be sweet or savory.
- The preparation can be made days in advance, before serving, just put them in the oven.
- These are great served warm, but leftovers are amazing added to salads (like kale salad), pasta salads, or added to quinoa salad.
How to prepare sweet potatoes
To peel or not to peel? I eat the baked sweet potato skins and the skins would work well in this recipe as well. Although it is not necessary to peel them before roasting them, I usually do.
- Peel the skin or scrub well if you want to leave the skin.
- Cut into 1 inch cubes
- Season well according to the recipe below (and add olive oil to make them crispy)
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
If you want to make roasted sweet potato wedges or fries, simply cut them into the appropriate shapes and place them on a baking sheet.
- Preheat: Preheat oven.
- Season: Toss with olive oil and season (according to the recipe below).
- Roast: Bake until the inside is tender and the outside is golden and crispy!
While sweet potato casserole is usually sweeter (with marshmallows or pecans), I season roasted sweet potatoes more often on the salty side.
- Savory: Thyme or cumin and chili powder go well with sweet potato. If using savory spices, enjoy the leftover pieces as sweet potato tacos!
- Sweet: Add a pinch of brown sugar, honey or maple syrup. Orange zest, lemon zest, or hot spices (like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice) can be added.
How long to roast sweet potatoes
Roasted sweet potato cubes for 35-40 minutes in a 400˚F oven. If making fries or roasted sweet potato wedges, bake for about 25-35 minutes in a 400°F oven (depending on thickness of cut).
Sweet potatoes can be cut into cubes and cooked at a low temperature. Note that times may vary slightly depending on the size/shape of the cut potatoes.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes
- Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes
- Bake at 400°F for 35-40-50 minutes
- The parchment paper makes cleanup easier, but I find they crisp up much better when baked directly on the baking sheet.
- If you cut into larger pieces or wedges, the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- To make ahead, combine with seasonings in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Cook until caramelized on the outside and fork tender on the inside.
More sweet potato recipes
roasted sweet potatoes
Sweet and savory, these tender roasted sweet potatoes will become a family favourite!
To follow Spend with money on Pinterest
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Cut the potatoes into 1″ cubes and toss with the olive oil and seasonings.
Roast on a baking sheet for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender, stirring after the first 20 minutes.
Serve hot with sour cream or chill and add to salad
If you cut into larger pieces or wedges, the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
Cook until caramelized on the outside and fork tender on the inside.
Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes
Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes
Bake at 400°F for 35-40-50 minutes
calories: 258, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 7g, Saturated fat: 1g, Sodium: 125mg, Potassium: 764mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 32175UI, Vitamin C: 5.4mg, Calcium: 68mg, The iron: 1.4mg
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Course side dish