A fresh salad is a perfect lunch or side to almost any meal.
It’s easy kale salad is packed with fresh veggies and a super simple homemade lemon dressing, making it perfect as a healthy side dish!
Filled with fresh ingredients with lots of flavor and crunch, this is definitely one of my favorite kale salad recipes!
An easy and delicious coleslaw
A quick and easy kale salad recipe is perfect for warm weather, but honestly, we love it all year round!
- It’s fresh, delicious and totally preparation in advance so feel free to make this bad boy the day before and take it to lunches the next day.
- Unlike the mixed salad, we love how leftover kale salad (even with the dressing) can be stored in the fridge.
- Packed with nutrition but more importantly, with flavor, this is sure to please any kale lover!
- Zesty Homemade Lemon Vinaigrette only takes a few minutes to prepare and tastes so much better than store bought.
How to prepare kale
Kale is actually the perfect make-ahead salad and sandwich green due to its ability to hold up like a champ in the fridge! It stays fresh without wilting long after its leafy counterparts. Prepare kale quickly over the weekend and it will stay fresh and crispy all week and keep it on hand as a green salad all week.
- Rinse the kale leaves in cold water.
- Remove the thick stem by tearing off the leaves.
- Spin dry in a salad spinner or shake dry and dab with a kitchen towel.
- Massage the kale, more info below.
How to Massage Kale
Can you repeat that please?! Massaging cabbage? Massaging the kale releases some of the bitterness and helps tenderize or sweeten it for salads. You can skip this step, but honestly I would say give it a try at least once. It changes the texture and flavor of the salad. I use kale but I also used dinosaur cabbage in this recipe.
- Tear or chop the washed kale into bite-size pieces, then sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Then drizzle some olive oil into your hands, just a tiny bit! Pick up some of the kale and rub it in, massaging the leaves until they turn darker and tender.
I swear a massaged kale salad tastes a million times better – we wouldn’t prepare kale any other way! Prefer to massage your kale without oil? Try some freshly squeezed lemon juice instead!
How to make kale salad with cranberries
Truly, this is one of the best kale salad recipes! Kale salad with cranberries, almonds and a quick and fresh lemon kale dressing.
- Wash and massage the kale according to the recipe below.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients and add them to a large bowl.
- Place the dressing in a jar and shake (or whisk in a bowl). Mix with the salad.
This easy kale pea salad with cranberries is packed with flavorful combinations. There are so many cole slaw ideas! I chose to add carrots, broccoli, red onion, dried cranberries, cheese, sliced almonds and sunflower seeds, but you can totally get creative here and empty your crisper ! Add a little avocado when serving if desired.
- Raisins would work great in place of cranberries or try other dried or fresh fruits like apples!
- I used cheddar cheese here (one of my favorite salad mixes!) but feta, parmesan, or goat cheese would work well too. You can even skip the dairy and make this delicious salad vegan!
- Replace almonds with other nuts like pecans or walnuts.
- Make it a meal and top it with cooked chicken, steak, grilled shrimp or salmon. Skip the sense and sprinkle with your favorite grain like quinoa or add chickpeas.
More Kale Recipes
Leftover kale can be tossed into pasta, tossed into pesto, and even cooked into crispy kale chips if the mood strikes! The possibilities are limitless. I even like a little kale on my pizza when I have it on hand. Is kale good in a salad? It’s so crazy versatile!
If you get a chance to try this easy kale salad, let me know in the comments below!
Easy Kale Salad with Fresh Lemon Dressing
This easy kale salad features fresh veggies and a super simple homemade lemon dressing, making it perfect as a healthy side dish or light lunch!
To follow Spend with money on Pinterest
Start by making your vinaigrette by combining the above ingredients in a lidded jar, then shake well to emulsify. Dip a kale leaf in the dressing and adjust the sweetener, salt and pepper to taste. You can make this dressing as sweet or tangy as your heart desires!
Then massage your chopped cabbage with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt. Rub with your fingers until the leaves begin to darken and tenderize. This makes it taste delicious and gives the kale a silky texture!
In a large bowl, combine the massaged kale, broccoli, almonds, cheese, carrots, onion, sunflower seeds, cranberries. Shake your dressing once more and pour about 1/3 of the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat well and add additional dressing, if desired.
Nutrition information does not include cheese and other optional ingredients
calories: 334, Carbohydrates: 19g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 26g, Saturated fat: 3g, Sodium: 315mg, Potassium: 744mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 9985UI, Vitamin C: 146.3mg, Calcium: 192mg, The iron: 2.7mg
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)