fried pie is a everyone’s favourite, great for game days and a family meal everyone will agree on!
This casserole starts with a rich beef base (similar to chili) with ground beef, seasonings and beans. Before baking, the whole thing is topped with heaps of cheese and… you guessed it… FRITOS!!
Add your favorite taco toppings like tomatoes, sour cream, and jalapenos!
What is Frito Pie?
The Frito pie is not really a pie, it’s a kind of taco casserole (like the Dorito casserole)!
- Also known as Frito Taco Pie, this easy dish can be made at home with a a few simple ingredients.
- It can be made ahead and cooked just before serving.
- The corn chips on the bottom of the pan soften, almost like tortillas while the Fritos on top stay crispy and crunchy.
- Swap out your typical taco night and add toppings at the table and let everyone create their own bowl.
Turn it into a party favourite!
You can make this a walking taco style meal!
Prepare the filling and let it simmer on the stove (instead of cooking). Use single-serving bags of Fritos corn chips and pour the heated topping into the bag just above the Fritos. Give it to a hungry eater to add their favorite toppings! No mess and no washing up!
Frito Pie Ingredients
FILLING: The ground beef (or ground chicken) is seasoned with taco seasoning. The addition of beans, beans, tomatoes and corn makes for a tangy and hearty filling. We used diced tomatoes, but you can substitute the salsa if you prefer.
Add your favorites, diced peppers with garlic and cumin! To stretch the filling even more, stir in a little rice.
FRIED: Fritos on top add crunch and flavor while Fritos on the bottom of the baking dish soften slightly and take on an almost tortilla-like texture.
CHEESE: We love to add lots of cheese, either TexMex or shredded cheddar.
How to make a frito pie
- Brown the beef and season with a packet of taco seasoning. Stir in the rest of the topping ingredients.
- Layer Fritos, cheese and meat mixture in a pan according to the recipe below.
- Top with more cheese and cook until bubbly.
Serve and enjoy…and don’t forget the garnishes!
Just like tacos, this Frito Pie Recipe can be topped with your favorites! I like to have little bowls of toppings for everyone to choose their own!
- Sauces: Salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, guacamole
- Vegetables etc: Sliced black olives, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce jalapeños, green peppers, lime wedges, green onions, cilantro.
More Chili-Inspired Favorites
A TexMex-inspired casserole with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, taco seasonings and salsa, topped with Frito chips and shredded cheese.
To follow Spend with money on Pinterest
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″x13″ casserole dish.
Brown ground beef and onions, drain fat. Stir in taco seasoning, chili powder and water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn and beans. Let simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Add 4 cups of Frito chips to the bottom of the prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
Spread beef mixture on top and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Top with remaining fries and desired toppings.
If you are serving leftovers, reserve the tortilla chips for garnish until ready to serve. Add tortilla chips and toppings after reheating.
To increase the heat, add the diced jalapenos to the meat mixture.
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Portion: 6g, calories: 624, Carbohydrates: 53g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 32g, Saturated fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 87mg, Sodium: 1314mg, Potassium: 1006mg, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 1596UI, Vitamin C: 16mg, Calcium: 366mg, The iron: 6mg
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Course Beef, Casserole, Dinner
Food American, Tex-Mex