As much as I love ham, I almost love leftovers more so I can make this recipe!
This ham salad the recipe is a mixture of very finely chopped ham and mayonnaise with our favorite additions! I love chopped pickles (or sweet relish) and a little sprinkle of mustard.
A few seconds in a food processor and a handful of tasty mixes, serve it with crackers or sandwiched on bread.
An old-fashioned favorite
It seems like every family has their own version of ham salad. Growing up we always made it with canned ham (I still like that) but most often I make it with leftover ham.
- Just 3 ingredients plus your favorite add-ins (like pickles, sweet pickle relish, mustard, or onions).
- Can be made with leftover ham or canned ham. It’s a great way to use up leftover Easter or Christmas ham.
- Can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for a few days for quick snacks and lunches.
- Ideal for sandwiches or with crackers.
This ham salad spread recipe is super easy, but we use leftover ham, which makes it incredibly delicious! We love serving it for lunch in the summer with a cucumber salad and homemade chicken salad sandwiches!
How to make ham salad
Homemade ham salad is a quick lunch fix whether you have a food processor or not. Here’s everything you do:
- Dice the ham very friendly or run it through a food processor.
- Transfer the ham to a bowl and mix the rest of the ingredients (according to the recipe below).
- Serve the ham mixture in rolls or on bread or even make it available for guests to dip crackers into. To keep it low carb, wrap it in lettuce wraps or serve it over a salad.
Really, that’s all there is to it!
Variants of ham salad
To show creativity! Start with a base of ham and mayonnaise, then add your favorite flavors. Personally, I skip the salt because the ham is salty, but here are some variations on this simple ham salad recipe:
- Snacks and lunches: Serve it on bread, a bun or crackers with potato chips.
- Feeding a crowd? Make your leftover ham stretch more by tossing it with diced hard-boiled eggs.
- Do you only have a little ham salad left? Blend it to a thinner consistency with a little pickle juice, put it in a small bowl, and serve it as a dip.
- Grilled ham and cheese on rye. Combine the ham mixture with grated cheddar cheese and grill it. The flavors will meld together for a delicious lunch.
- Turn it into a meal. For dinner, use your basic ham salad recipe as the base for a ham macaroni salad or a ham pasta salad. Dice sweet pickles or dill pickles and add a dollop of Dijon mustard for tangy flavors.
- Diced onion and bell pepper, or jars of chili or roasted red pepper also go well in a macaroni and ham salad. Use rotini or penne if you are making a ham pasta salad.
More ways to use up leftover ham
How to freeze ham salad
Ham salad is best served cold. It keeps for a few days in the refrigerator.
If you plan to store it longer, you can freeze it in an airtight container. Remove from freezer and thaw in refrigerator overnight and drain off any liquid. Stir in a spoonful of fresh mayonnaise if necessary.
Easier salads for sandwiches
Ham salad recipe
The best thing about leftover ham is that it gives you the opportunity to make a ham salad! You can prepare it in the food processor in the blink of an eye.
To follow Spend with money on Pinterest
Place the diced ham in a food processor and pulse to chop. You want it quite thin but not a paste.
Place in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients until creamy and smooth.
Serve with crackers or use to make ham salad sandwiches.
I don’t add extra salt to this recipe because I find the ham quite salty. Taste and season to taste.
This ham salad can be served on bread, rolls, crackers or even salad.
calories: 275, Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 23g, Saturated fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 47mg, Sodium: 1388mg, Potassium: 268mg, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 135UI, Vitamin C: 0.9mg, Calcium: 22mg, The iron: 1.3mg
(Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Course Ham, Lunch, Main Course